As the NFT gaming industry rapidly grows, many interested people are looking for ways to get involved.
If you’re one of those people, then this is the guide for you!
In this article, we will explain how NFT games work and provide a beginner’s guide to playing NFT games. We’ll also discuss the mechanics of P2E NFT games and what you need to get started. So without further ado, let’s jump in!
NFT games explained
NFTs are digital assets that are unique and cannot be replicated. This makes them perfect for in-game use, as they can represent items, collectibles, and even players themselves. NFTs can be bought, sold, or traded like any other asset, and they can also be used to earn in-game rewards.
NFT games can be divided into two categories: pure NFT games and mixed NFT games.
- Pure NFT games are games that use NFTs as the only in-game currency. In these games, NFTs are used to buy, sell, or trade items and assets. For example, in the game Cryptokitties, players use virtual cat NFTs. You buy cat NFTs from their website or other marketplaces and breed them to create kitties that you can sell or trade with other players.
- Mixed NFT games are games that use NFTs alongside other in-game currencies. In these games, NFTs are used to represent items, collectibles, or players themselves. For example, in the game Decentraland, players can use NFTs to buy land and build on it. They can also use NFTs to buy, sell, or trade items with other players.
No matter what type of NFT game you’re playing, the gameplay will revolve around buying, selling, or trading NFTs. Players can earn NFTs in-game by completing tasks or quests, and they can also buy NFTs from other players or from NFT marketplaces. NFTs can be used to purchase in-game items, upgrades, or even other NFTs.
NFT games are still a relatively new concept, and as such, the NFT blockchain gaming industry is still in its infancy. However, there are already a few NFT games that have been released and are gaining popularity.
How to start playing NFT games
Now that you know a little bit about NFT games, you’re probably wondering how you can start playing them.
If you’re interested in playing NFT games, then the first thing that you need to do is to find an NFT game that you’re interested in.
When choosing an NFT game check the following:
- Whether the game uses NFTs as the only in-game currency.
- Can you start playing for free or how much do you have to pay to get started?
- Check to see whether the game is available on the devices that you want to use.
- Can you sell or trade these NFTs on marketplaces?
- The gameplay and how it uses NFTs.
- The graphics and overall game design.
- Find out who is behind the game development.
Once you’ve found an NFT game that you want to play, you will have to prepare a few things before you begin (not necessarily in this order):
- Create an account on the game website or platform.
- Get an NFT wallet to store your NFTs.
- Buy some NFTs (usually you will need ETH to do this).
- Open up the game and connect your NFT wallet.
- Now you can start playing and have fun!
The gameplay of NFT games varies from game to game, but in general, the gameplay revolves around buying NFTs, playing the game by using them, upgrading your existing NFTs or getting new ones, and then selling them for a profit.
NFT games can be played online or offline, using PC or mobile devices, and they can be played alone or with other players.
Every game concept is different but what I have described above should give you a good idea of how NFT games work and how you can start playing them.
» Learn more: How to buy an NFT guide
Benefits of NFT games
NFT games have a lot of benefits, both for players and for game developers.
Some of the benefits of NFT games include:
- Decentralized, which means that they’re not controlled by any one person or organization.
- Transparent because all of the game’s data is stored on a public blockchain that can’t be shut down or censored by anyone.
- More secure than traditional games because they’re built on blockchain technology.
- Offers game developers a new way to monetize their games.
- Provides players full ownership of their in-game items and assets.
- Players have the ability to earn money by playing the game (play-to-earn model) and selling their NFTs.
Let’s talk a bit more about play-to-earn (P2E) games because I know many people are interested in them.
P2E NFT games explained
As I mentioned before, NFT games can be play-to-earn (P2E), which means that players can earn money by playing the game and selling their NFTs.
In a P2E NFT game, players use NFTs to progress in the game and to earn rewards. These rewards can be NFTs, cryptocurrency, or even real-world items.
The P2E model is a new and innovative way to monetize games, and it’s one of the main reasons why NFT games are becoming so popular.
Let me show you an example to help you to understand how the P2E model works.
Axie Infinity game example
In the game Axie Infinity, players can earn cryptocurrency by playing the game and breeding virtual pets called Axies. These Axies can then be sold on the game’s marketplace for a profit.
Players can also earn rewards by playing the game’s battles and completing quests.
Here are some Axie Infinity statistics from a 2021 survey:
- Most players are 19-29 years old.
- 58% play the game on mobile devices or tablets.
- Most players play the game every day and spend up to 2 hours daily on it.
- 41% of players earn an average of $55.50 per day.
- 62% of users agree that the entry cost is too high because at least $690 is required to start playing.
Read more stats on blockchain gaming industry here.
This example helps to illustrate why P2E games are gaining popularity. NFT games are here to stay and are changing the gaming industry.
I hope that this article helped you to understand how NFT games work and how you can start playing them. NFT games are a new and innovative way to gaming, and they’re only going to become more popular in the future.
If you’re interested in NFT games, I suggest that you do some research and find a game that you want to play. NFT games are a lot of fun, and you can even earn money by playing them.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.
Thanks for reading!