How to Start Playing Crypto Games
Blockchain games are a new type of digital online game that can be played on computers, mobile devices, and even social media platforms.
Blockchain games have been touted as the future of gaming because they offer players an unprecedented level of transparency and security. In addition to that, players can earn money by playing crypto games (play-to-earn gaming mechanics).
In this article, we’ll share what you actually need to start playing blockchain games. We will also talk about some of the benefits of playing crypto games.
Which devices are blockchain games available on?
Blockchain games are available on a number of devices and platforms. These games can be played on web browsers, computers (downloadable), mobile devices, and social media.
Here are some of the most popular games that are available on a variety of platforms:
- CryptoKitties (Web, Computer, Mobile)
- Ether games (Web, Mobile, Desktop)
Blockchain games are not just for experienced gamers. In fact, there are a number of games that are specifically designed for new players. These games offer a simple and easy-to-use gaming experience.
Some of the more popular blockchain games for new players include:
- CryptoCountries (Mobile, Browser)
- Ether Kingdoms (Web, Mobile)
Similar to traditional video games, crypto games can be played on multiple devices of your choice. In order to play, you will need a computer (PC or laptop) or mobile device (Android, IOS, Windows) depending on which game you select.
Next, let’s discuss game mechanics and economics.
Do you need to pay to start playing?
Let’s examine the financial aspects of blockchain games and the costs associated with crypto games.
Blockchain games can be divided into free-to-play (F2P) and pay-to-play (P2P) games.
- Free-to-play games can be played without having to spend any money. The only thing a player needs to do is to register for an account.
- Pay-to-play games, require that you spend money in order to play. This can be in the form of purchasing in-game items (NFTs) or currencies with real-world money.
Most blockchain games offer a hybrid of F2P and P2P models. For example, you may need to pay for some in-game items, but you can also earn those same items through gameplay.
This is done to give players the option of enhancing their gaming experience by buying NFTs on the available marketplaces or currencies via exchanges. These enhancements can range from different game modes to rare items.
Another important aspect of top blockchain games is the play-to-earn business model. It’s a model that uses the concept of an open economy and allows gamers to earn money while playing the game.
P2E gaming model explained
The P2E business model is quickly gaining traction in the gaming industry.
For example, the most popular game, Axie Infinity, has more than 2.5 million average monthly players as of April 2022 (find more blockchain gaming stats here). Players can make anywhere from $11 to $92 per day playing the game.
P2E games can be divided into two categories: cryptocurrency games and NFT games (or a hybrid model with both).
- Cryptocurrency games are where players can earn cryptocurrencies for playing the game. These games usually have a built-in cryptocurrency wallet that allows players to store, send and receive different cryptocurrencies.
- An NFT game rewards players with collectible digital assets called Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs). These NFTs can be used to represent different in-game items, characters, or experiences.
Rewarding players with financial benefits such as in-game items (NFTs) or currencies for playing a game is attracting millions of new players.
» Learn more: NFT games guide for beginners
Buying in-game items or cryptocurrencies
I’m not going into the basic details of buying processes, but I’ll share a few examples and discuss things you need to get started.
How to buy an NFT
When buying an NFT for any game usually you will have two options:
- First, you can purchase gaming NFT directly from the marketplace of that game. For example, Axie Infinity has its own marketplace. You will need to create an account and go through their buying process.
- Second, players can buy NFTs on the secondary market on different platforms such as OpenSea or Solanart, depending on which game you are starting with. For example, you can buy an NFT for the same Axie Infinity game on the OpenSea platform.
Players also need a crypto wallet in order to buy an NFT. To buy an NFT, you’ll need a suitable wallet that works with the relevant blockchain. You could use the most popular MetaMask wallet for Ethereum, or the Phantom wallet if you’re using Solana.
Once you have your crypto wallet created, you’ll need to buy some cryptocurrency and deposit it into your wallet.
Crypto tokens can be purchased in multiple ways:
- You can buy crypto directly within your wallet if it supports that functionality. For example, MetaMask and Coinbase are two examples of wallets that offer that option.
- You can purchase tokens using one of the online trading platforms such as Binance or Kraken. Players can then transfer funds from that online exchange to their wallets.
How to buy cryptocurrency
The most common way to buy cryptocurrencies is through an online exchange. You will need to create an account on the exchange, deposit some fiat currency (USD, EUR, GBP, etc.) and then purchase the crypto of your choice.
The exchanges usually offer a wide variety of cryptocurrencies to choose from.
The most popular exchanges are Binance, KuCoin, Coinbase, Kraken, and Gate. Before picking an online exchange, make sure that the gaming cryptocurrency you are planning to buy is being traded on that platform. Not all gaming cryptos are available on every online exchange.
Once you have your cryptocurrencies purchased and stored in your wallet, you are ready to start playing the blockchain game of your choice.
What is the biggest benefit of blockchain games?
There are many types of games and one of the main benefits of blockchain games is that players can own in-game assets (NFTs). These digital assets are stored on a blockchain and cannot be taken away from the player.
This practice is in contrast to most video games, where players can lose their items or characters if they are banned from the game or their account is closed.
The advantage of owning in-game assets is that players can sell or trade them with other players. This allows players to monetize their gaming experience and earn money from their skills and time invested in the game.
I hope that this article explains how you can start playing blockchain games and what the benefits are of doing so.
Have fun playing!